Are you struggling with bunions? At Fox Valley Foot Specialists, LTD. in Naperville, our foot doctors, Dr. Brendon McCarthy and Dr. Mark Konieczy, diagnose and treat this common foot deformity. In fact, the sooner you see your podiatrist about your bunions, the more quickly you can get relief.
What is a bunion?
A bunion is a sore, bony bump on the side of the foot at the base of the big toe. Formed from arthritis, bursitis, tight shoes, or even inherited foot structure, bunions progress over time, causing:
- Impaired walking
- Corns and calluses
- Additional deformities, such as Hallux Valgus, where the big toe crosses over the second and even third toes
While advancing age and gender (female) play a role in bunion development, they alone do not determine if you develop bunions. A combination of the above mentioned factors is key, and such, each individual requires personalized treatment.
Diagnosing and treating bunions
At Fox Valley Foot Specialists, LTD. in Naperville, your foot doctor will inspect your feet, watch how you walk, and take X-rays imaging and an MRI as needed. Along with a discussion of your symptoms, this information helps him form the proper treatment plan.
Usually, surgery to re-align the big toe and remove the bony bump is not the first choice. Instead, Dr. McCarthy or Dr. Konieczy may advise some of the following interventions:
- Analgesics such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to reduce pain
- Ice packs to the sore bump
- Taping the affected joint
- Cortisone injections to reduce inflammation
- Callus and corn removal (in the office--never at home!)
- Night splints to re-align the big toe
- Wearing shoes with wider toe boxes and lower heels (no higher than two and a half inches according to the American Podiatric Medical Association)
- Orthotics, customized shoe inserts, crafted by your podiatrist
- Wearing bunion pads on the bony bump
- Wearing a spacing device between the big toe and second toe
The treatment goals are preventing the bunion from worsening, relieving pain, and improving mobility.
Leading the way
Dr. McCarthy, Dr. Konieczy, and their team are ready to help you with your bunions or any other foot or ankle issue you have. Podiatric health is key to an active, happy life. So, call today for an appointment with your foot doctor at Fox Valley Foot Specialists, LTD. in Naperville, IL, (630) 548-3900.