When you come to Fox Valley Foot Specialists in Naperville, IL, expect the best in diabetic care from your foot doctors, Dr. Brendon McCarthy and Dr. Mark Konieczy. The periodic inspection of diabetic feet wards off serious infections, amputations, and impaired function common to this chronic health problem. Diligent home care helps, too. Learn more by reading below!
The diabetic foot
It's common for diabetics to experience reduced nerve sensation (peripheral neuropathy), slow wound healing, impaired circulation, increased dry skin, blisters, corns and calluses on their feet. Also, deformities such as bunions, Charcot foot (involving the ankle), and hammertoes change the appearance, functionality, and health of the lower extremities. Left untreated, small foot problems can lead to larger issues, compromising limb health and systemic health and function, too.
Caring for diabetic feet
Your foot doctors at Fox Valley Foot Specialists' Naperville office highly recommend periodic foot examinations for all diabetics. These simple check-ups look for irregularities in foot health and function, avoiding the serious complications which high glucose levels can cause.
In addition, Dr. McCarthy and Dr. Konieczy advise patients to take charge of their own foot care at home. To do so, follow these guidelines established by the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons:
- Inspect your feet and ankles every day, observing for changes in color, temperature, structure, and skin texture
- Wash your feet with warm water and mild soap daily. Dry them thoroughly with a clean towel and moisturize to prevent cracks and fissures in the skin
- Change your socks daily, and investigate diabetic sock options as necessary. (These socks provide extra support and wick moisture away from the skin)
- Cut nails straight across with clean clippers to avoid infection and ingrown toenails
- Wear shoes and socks at all times, even indoors, to prevent injuries
- Stop smoking, as tobacco constricts the small blood vessels of the foot and ankle
- Control your blood sugar
- Make sure your feet are dry and warm
Happy, healthy feet
You can have your best possible feet, even if you are diabetic or have other serious health condition. If you have a question or concern about your feet or ankles when you are in between office appointments, please call your friends at Fox Valley Foot Specialists. They'll be happy to help you! Phone (630) 548-3900 to contact our Naperville office.